In this exciting FIFA Women’s World Cup match, Sweden will take on South Africa in their group stage opener at the Wellington Stadium. With Sweden ranked third in the world and South Africa at 54th position in the most recent FIFA rankings, it promises to be an intriguing clash. Sweden, the 2003 Women’s World Cup runners-up, are the favorites to win, but South Africa, competing in only their second edition of the competition, will be eager to cause an upset. Other teams in the group are Italy and Argentina, making this encounter even more crucial as the winner will take a significant step towards qualifying for the knockout stages of the tournament.
Kick-off Time and Venue
The match between Sweden and South Africa is scheduled for July 23, 2023. The kick-off time is set for 6 am BST at the Wellington Regional Stadium. Fans in the UK can tune in at this time to catch the action.
How to Watch Sweden vs South Africa Online – TV Channels & Live Streams
For viewers in the United Kingdom, the fixture will be broadcast live on BBC Two and available for streaming on BBC iPlayer. Additionally, after the full-time whistle, match highlights will be shown, and live updates can be accessed on GOAL’s platform.
Team News & Squads
Sweden Team News
Fridolina Rolfo, who delivered an impressive performance of 16 goals in 21 league games for Barcelona last season, will play a crucial role in leading Sweden’s attack throughout the tournament. With enough experience and talent, Sweden boasts a formidable team, including Jennifer Falk in goal, with Lina Sembrant and Magdalena Eriksson forming a solid central defensive duo.
Sweden Predicted XI: Falk; Bjorn, Sembrant, Eriksson, Andersson; Bennison, Asllani, Angeldahl; Jakobsson, Rolfo, Blackstenius.
South Africa Team News
The Banyana Banyana coach has no new injury worries ahead of this challenging match. The return of seasoned forward Thembi Kgatlana, who has recovered from a long-term injury sustained during the 2022 Wafcon group stage, will undoubtedly bring joy to the South African team.
South Africa Predicted XI: Dlamini, Gamede, Mbane, Magama, Holweni, Biyana, Jane, Motlhalo, Magaia, Seoposenwe, Kgatlana.
Let’s take a look at the previous head-to-head encounters between these two teams:
- January 2019: South Africa 0-0 Sweden (Friendly)
- January 2018: South Africa 0-3 Sweden (Friendly)
- August 2016: Sweden 1-0 South Africa (Olympics)
- July 2012: Sweden 4-1 South Africa (Olympics)
The clash between Sweden and South Africa promises to be an exciting battle on the field, with both teams aiming for a strong start to their FIFA Women’s World Cup campaign. As we wait for the kick-off, fans worldwide are anticipating an intense match filled with skill, passion, and determination.
- When will the match between Sweden and South Africa take place?
- The match is scheduled for July 23, 2023, with a kick-off time of 6 am BST.
- Where will the match be played?
- The match will be held at the Wellington Regional Stadium.
- How can viewers in the UK watch the game?
- The match will be shown live on BBC Two and can be streamed on BBC iPlayer.
- Who are the key players for Sweden?
- Fridolina Rolfo and Jennifer Falk are vital players for Sweden.
- Who is the seasoned forward returning for South Africa?
- Thembi Kgatlana is returning to the South African team after recovering from an injury.
Thank you for reading! We appreciate your support and trust in Sports in Africa, We value your feedback! Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below. Connect with us on social media for more exciting updates and discussions!